Ryan Palmer is a shareholder at Monroe Moxness Berg where he represents concept and brand owners in the development of franchise and other distribution systems for their products and services. His experience includes structuring and documenting domestic and international franchise programs and transactions in a variety of industries and advising clients on the creation and implementation of license and franchise programs for non-traditional venues.
Ryan's intellectual property practice focuses on protecting and increasing the value of clients' brands through the registration and enforcement of trademarks, copyrights and domain names.
He is also active in the firm's mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance practice groups and frequently advises clients in sale, purchase, license and finance transactions in the multi-unit retail and franchised industries.
Ryan is consistently identified as a Legal Eagle (one of franchising's top 125 attorneys) by Franchise Times magazine. Ryan is also listed as a Rising Star in the Legal Profession in Mpls/St. Paul magazine every year since 2007.
He is admitted to practice in the state courts of Minnesota and is a member of the Minnesota and American Bar Associations.
Ryan graduated cum laude from the University of St. Thomas School of Law, where he was the founding editor-in-chief of the school's law review. Ryan also studied international business and intellectual property law in London as part of the University of San Diego's international and comparative law program.
- "Win-Win: Four Topics Often Vex Relationships, But Smart Fixes Do Exist," contributing author, Franchise Times, May 2013
- "Good Question: What Can We Legally Share on-Line?", WCCO-TV, March 19, 2012
- "Eight Common Questions About Royalty Audits", Franchising World, October 2011
- "Middle Ground: Taking a New Approach to Old Franchisor Problems", Franchise Times, October 2011
- "Improving the Franchise System: Understanding Franchisee Profitability", IFA Legal Symposium, May 2010
- "Troubled Franchisees: Franchisor to the Rescue?", Franchising World, September 2009
- "Strategies to Assist Distressed Franchisees", IFA Legal Symposium, May 2009
- "Gift Cards: Take Care to Follow Some Tough Rules", Franchise Times, April 2008
- "When is it Time to Change Management?", Franchising World, January 2008
- National Restaurant Association Show, "Should I Franchise My Restaurant?" May 18, 2013
- Franchise Finance, Development and Growth Conference, "Up and Comers," panel moderator, April 25, 2013
- Food Service Radio, "Franchising Your Restaurant," podcast, October 2012
- Minnesota Real Estate Journal Retail & Restaurant Summit, "Getting Retail and Restaurant Transactions Done", June 7, 2012
- Webinar by the Turnaround Management Association: "Emerging from the Economic Edge: The Outlook for Restructuring in the Franchise Industry", May 17, 2012
- National Restaurant Association Show, "So You Want to Franchise Your Restaurant", May 5, 2012
- Franchise Finance Conference, "Troubled Franchisees", March 2012
- Minnesota Real Estate Journal Hospitality & Entertainment Summit, "Restaurants in Hospitality Venues: Legal and Practical Issues", September 30, 2011
- International Franchise Association Annual Convention, "Internal Control and Royalty Audits, February 2011
- International Franchise Association Legal Symposium, "Understanding Franchisee Profitability, May 2010
- Trademark and Brand Protection client seminar, "Covering Your Bases: Developing, Managing and Protecting Your Concept and Brand", September 21, 2010
- International Franchise Association Legal Symposium, "Financing Your Franchisees in the Current Credit Environment", May 2009
- Franchise Summit, "Attacking in a Different Direction", 2009
- Restaurant Finance and Development Conference, "Optimize the Value of Your Trademarks and Fuel Growth Domestically and Internationally", November 9, 2008
- Business Seminar, "Trademark Survival Kit", 2008
- International Franchise Association Legal Symposium, "Multi-State Registration Issues", May 2008
- Client Seminar, Business Basics, "Trademark Law", 2008